In the modern world, where IoT technologies are rapidly integrating into various aspects of our lives, agriculture is not lagging behind in this progress. One of the promising directions in implementing modern technologies in farming is the use of smart sensors that provide detailed information about soil conditions in real-time.
Databot is a multi-sensor device that can fit in the palm of your hand. In this article, we will explore databot and the possibilities of its application in agriculture.
Ukrainian Farm Testing
Modern farming methods increasingly rely on technology such as drones and sensors to monitor soil health, address disease, ensure proper watering, and more to improve crop yield. Enter databot, a multi-sensor device that can provide detailed information on light, temperature, humidity, CO2 levels, air pressure, and more.
Temperature monitoring is one important task to maximize yield and guides farmers to plant crops at the most appropriate time. For example:
- Sunflower seeds, the soil temperature for sowing and germination is usually around 15 to 18 degrees Celsius.
- Corn is usually sown into the soil when the soil temperature reaches about 10-12 degrees Celsius. This is the temperature that allows the seeds to germinate reliably.
Multiple tests were conducted on Ukraine farms using databot in different fields and monitoring different soil temperatures to help guide timing for planting. Many Ukrainian farmers saw databot and were amazed at its tiny size and extraordinary number of sensors. It’s also small enough and portable enough that databot easily fits in your pocket and enables quick field measurements at any time.
databot is well suited to quickly measure air temperature and ground temperature as it supports two simultaneous temperature readings. One of the temperature probes is directed upwards and measures the air temperature. The second sensor is inserted into the ground and measures the ground temperature as shown in these images.
Vizeey Enables Fast and Easy Data Visualization
The Vizeey app, included with databot, allows you to quickly and easily connect to databot and access all of its sensors using bluetooth. You can literally be collecting and visualizing data in seconds to assist you in your decision making. Some highlights on Vizeey and its capabilities:
- The data is displayed in numbers as well as graphs, which gives you more complete information.
- Long term data collection is possible – leave the databot in the field and see the temperature as it changed during the day.
- Easily export the data you have collected to store it and further analyze it in a spreadsheet or other software.
- Easily share the complete data from Vizeey by text or email with others to facilitate discussion and decision making.
Additionally, multiple sensor readings can be monitored simultaneously, there is no limitation. Additional environmental conditions you can monitor and calculate with databot include:
- Air quality – Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
- Air quality – Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Air Temperature
- Soil Temperature
- Dew Point
- Heat Index
- Ambient Light
- Air Pressure
Advanced IOT Capabilities
In addition to real-time monitoring and analysis in the field, databot is also equipped with built-in WiFi capabilities and the technology required to transfer data to cloud based services which can be referenced on the web anywhere, anytime. Imagine having this kind of data at your fingertips and how it can improve farming practices.
Extraordinary Technology = Extraordinary Crop Yields
Stay tuned for more updates on databot applications on the farm, new sensor releases, and additional examples!