Camp databot™ STEM
Tough-as-nails, easily shipped, no parts to lose, and easily cleaned for the next round, databot™ is an extraordinary tool for educators seeking to provide engaging hands-on STEM activities for after-school, in-class, and even for students studying from home. Due to its extraordinary versatility, there are many applications for databot™ for teaching subjects including Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Life Science, Coding, and more. We are constantly adding activities which will make your databot™ inventory indispensable for STEM education! Sign up for our blog to receive updates on new curriculum and activities!s
Number of Students: Up to 30 (in groups)
- Virtual Camps
- At-home Experimenting
- Summer Camps
- After-school Programs
- Home-school Cooperatives
Curriculum Hours: Each strand is designed to provide 15 hours of activities and with challenges and extensions 24+ hours.
Camp databot™ STEM comes with everything you need to start exploring the hidden world of data immediately! It also includes individual cases for each databot™ to provide an easily shipped and stored single unit to make logistics a snap if you’re sending them home with students.
- databot™ – 10
- Detailed instructions for accessing and installing the Phyphox science sensor visualization app (IOS/Android/Chromebook). Students will require a smart device to connect to databot™ and visualize and record data from the associated experiments.
- 8 GB Micro SD Card – 10
- Micro SD Card Reader – 10
- Mini USB Charging/Coding Cable -10
- External Temperature Probe – 10
- Industrial Velcro Pad – 10
- Removable Base Plate – 10
- Lanyard – 10
- Soft Shell Storage Case – 10
See the curriculum tab for more details. databot™ is a multi-purpose STEM exploration tool that enables camp explorations in hundreds of topics. Our first published series, CO2 Science is a fascinating, interdisciplinary exploration of chemistry, physics, life science, and the environment using one simple tool.
Our next series, Ninja Physics, is under construction and provides a complete second camp series in which students explore physical forces interactively while learning about the associated data. You can see examples of what this curriculum is being built on in the blog posts Ninja Walk and Whirling Dervish! Check it out – awesome fun!
- Check out the Tech Specs tab to see all sensors and features included in databot™!
- If you are an uber geek, please explore the Deep Geek technical information section in our online manual
- Explore lessons, activities, and Design Challenges in our content section
- See videos of databot™ in action in our gallery and browse the blog for some great examples of how teachers are using it!
How to Use databot™
It’s never been easier to engage students with fun, hands on activities. Simply connect databot™ to your iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or phone, or Chromebook using a sensor science app called phyphox. You can literally be up and running with databot™ in just a few minutes! See how in this quick video!
Camp databot™ STEM is designed to support a number of activities across a range of STEM subjects. Our first release, CO2 Science, is comprised of 5 curriculum modules that each include 2+ hours of core activities plus an additional 2+ hours of optional challenge and group collaboration extensions. The second release, Ninja Physics, is currently under construction, and built on the same activity framework.
Learn more about the camp activities below and sign up for our blog to be alerted as new modules are posted for Ninja Physics and other topics.
Module 1 – The Cave of Dogs
Explore Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and the properties of gases in fun and interesting ways as we create, capture, and study CO2 in a quest to solve a mystery that is hundreds of years old.
Module 2 – Ready, Set, Reaction!
Reactants, products, and fizzing fun all come together in this databot™ dive into the science behind chemical reactions! Join databot™ as we stir up some chemical fun that provides insight into the invisible world of chemistry that surrounds us.
Module 3 – Breathe
Meet your body, the amazing machine! Prepare to hop, howl, hold your breath and watch databot™ take a fantastic voyage into the human lung in an exploration of human respiration!
Module 4 – Getting Warmer
Global warming, climate change, and the carbon we all share!
Module 5 – Something’s in the Air
Environmental and citizen scientists unite in the exciting exploration of CO2 sources and its effects on the environment.
Module 1 – Ninja Walk
Students explore acceleration, understand the difference between the speed and acceleration, and personally interact with the amazing force of gravity in the Ninja Walk challenge!
Module 2 – Whirling Dervish
More physics fun as students again compete to be the most level headed competitor interacting with acceleration and the force of gravity in new and interesting ways. Understanding angular velocity becomes the ultimate physical challenge as students attempt to execute perfect turns while maintaining a perfectly level head.
Module 3 – Egg Drop
Students explore the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration as they work to build the perfect crash cushioning mechanism to protect an egg in this updated, data-driven, egg-drop experiment.
Module 4 – Sticky Wicket
Students explore concepts of acceleration and mass in more detail as they test designs using the engineering design process. The goal is to minimize friction through careful data analysis and engineering practices!
Module 5 – High Flyer
A final look at how all these magical invisible forces work together to ensure that what goes up, most certainly will come down!
databot™ ships pre-configured to work with an app called Phyphox. Requirements for running this software:
- IOS devices including iPads and iPhones.
- Android devices including smart phones and tablets
- Chromebooks capable of running Android Apps from the Google Play Store
See the setup video on how to use Phyphox with databot™ for more details.
Going Beyond Phyphox – databot is Programmable!
databot™ is pure Arduino based fun. If you aren’t familiar with Arduino, you can take our Intro to Arduino course to learn a little bit about it. There are many ways to talk to databot™ using standard Arduino tools which you can learn about in our setup guide.
- Air Pressure
- Ultraviolet (UV)
- Light (Lux)
- CO2 and VOCs
Speaker for Sound Output
Code databot™ to squeak, beep and chirp based on data it receives.
Programmable Display LEDs
Create interactive light displays or use the pre-built programs to light up databot™ in exciting ways!
SD Card Writer
Log data. You are limited only by the size of your SD card to the data you want to capture!
Mini USB Connection
Charge and program. Simple and efficient – one databot™, one cable.
Wireless transmission of live data using BLE. Visualize real data in real-time on the big screen in the front of the classroom. Play catch with databot™ and watch the numbers!
250 mAh LiPo battery built in. No batteries to purchase, no extra expenses, no hassle. Just pure databot™ fun!
Connect an external temperature probe via 2.5mm stereo jack input. Plug in the included waterproof temperature probe to instantly gain access to live data for chemistry, life science, and environmental studies.
External Analog & Digital Sensors
databot™ LOVES data. The more sensors the merrier so we added this simple 2.5 mm stereo jack input port for connecting additional analog or digital sensors.
Did we say databot™ LOVES data? I2C enables databot to daisy chain hundreds of additional sensors via a 3.5mm stereo jack input.
Built-in case connections for LEGO® and fischertechnik® elements. Connect databot™ to your favorite robot and start running data collection missions!
Also included is a plate for adding a Velcro attachment that enables databot™ to hitch a ride on drones, cars, hot air balloons, bikes, skateboards, pogo sticks and so much more!
Attention geeks, hackers, coders, makers, inventors, and other movers and shakers interested in the nuts and bolts of databot™. Below you will find a quick summary of data and specifications. For in-depth details visit our Deep Geek page.
- I2CMPU-9250I2C: Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) includes Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyro, operating temperature. Address (I2C)
- MPL-3115A2I2C: Precision Altimeter for Air Pressure, Altitude, Operating Temperature. Address (I2C)
- SGP-30: Sensirion Gas Platform for CO2/VOCs. Address (I2C)
- SHTC3: Sensirion Digital Humidity Sensor for Humidity and Operating Temperature. Address (I2C)
Light and Sound
- VEML-6075: Ultraviolet Sensor for UVA and UVB. Address (I2C)
- ADMP-401: Omnidirectional Microphone for Sound. Address (A0)
- APDS-9301: Miniature Ambient Light Photosensor for Light (lux). Address (I2C)
- MicroSD Writer: Internal MicroSD Card Writer for Data Storage. Address (I2C)
- HM11 Bluetooth Module: Bluetooth Module for Wireless Communications. Address (I2C)
- DS18B20: Dedicated 2.5mm Stereo Jack provides Waterproof Temperature Probe. Address (D4)
- 2.5mm stereo port: Open A/D 2.5mm Stereo Jack provides Open Expansion for Analog and Digital Sensors. Address (ADC2)
- I2C3.5mm stereo port: Open I2C 3.5mm Stereo Jack provides Open Expansion for I2C Devices. Address (I2C)
- BusBoard LED Strip: Programmable LED Strip includes Programmable Indicator. Address (A3)
- 250mAh LiPo: Internal, Rechargable LiPo Battery is the Primary Power Supply
Shipping & Policies